Re: Tuning, toploads and tank caps

Original poster: "jpeakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>

Malcom,

> Firstly, your cap claulation is in error. Putting two in series
> halves the capacitance and for the same gap setting, cuts the primary
> energy in half. Leaving losses out of it that means your output
> voltage will have dropped by SQRT(2).

The caps I refered to arent two of the 7nf ones. It is a maxwell .035uf and
a resonace research inc .025 in series. Both are a little off thier rated
specs.

> Your biggest problem is the operating frequency of your coil which
> demands a low primary inductance be used. You aren't left with too
> many tapping options by the time only three turns is in the circuit.
> Ironically, you should be tapping more turns in for your series cap
> combination and that will reduce you primary losses and might well
> offset the drop in output voltage caused by the energy reduction.

And this is determined by the # of wraps on my secondary, so other that
lower tank capacitance, my only other option is to wrap another 2dry (which
I am going to do anyway, just getting it all straight) with more wraps.

Thanks again,

Jonathan Peakall