Re: Aluminum wire in an NST

Hi Justin,

They used aluminum wire since it is cheaper than copper wire.  They
probably made it a larger gage than the equivalent copper wire.  So the
losses are the same (probably does not matter much anyway).

It will have no effect on the NST at all.  The only remotely possible
problem is that aluminum is hard to make good connections to since it
oxidizes so easily.  But in this case they probably have that pretty much
figured out.

Aluminum is not generally a good conductor of RF but there are a lot of
variables in all that.  I wound avoid it for coiling unless you have a lot
already on hand.  It may noticeably affect performance if used in a Tesla
coil primary.

Cheers,

	Terry