Re: Ion Motors / Electrostatic Pendulum

Original poster: "Richard Wayne Wall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

Tesla was not as impressed by big sparks as we are.  However, he did use them
for promotion with the public and his sponsors.  He enjoyed his showmanship.
Over all though, he considered sparks a great waste of energy for his main goal
of wireless energy propagation.  Wardenclyff was not designed to be a huge
spark generator.

His patents state repeatedly that wireless propagation of energy was through
the "medium" and earth.  Interestingly his patent states the propagation was
not by "radiant" means (he mentions Hertzian radio waves and excludes them),
but by actual conduction of the medium.  There are several overlapping patents
on this topic and they are very interesting reading.  Tesla was impressed by
Crookes vacuum tubes and he noted as a higher vacuum was approached they became
conductive.  This is the crux of his idea and is noted in the patent.  He
believed the evacuated "medium" behaved as a true conductor.

So Mike, your thread is right on target.

RWW

--- Richard Wayne Wall
--- <mailto:rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com