Re: Primary Strikes, how serious/bad?

Original poster: "D.Wightman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dwightman-at-mmcable-dot-com>

Well, I've been looking at this thread, and had to input my 5 cents worth.
I personaly have had no problem with primary strikes, in fact I ran some
tests on this.
I intentionly let the primary get struck with some rather nasty power
strikes for extended periods of time!
The safety gaps on the caps would not even fire, But, I must add that there
was a rather interesting arcing at random places on the primary
away from where the strike was taking place. The tranny is a 14400, 5kva
pole pig. The caps are maxwell .05uf at 45kv. We have hours and hours of run
time on them, and no problems at all. The longest run was a half an hour at
full power with lots and lots of primary strikes. Still no problems at all.
Look at these pics.
http://home.mmcable-dot-com/surplus/images/pic21.jpg
http://home.mmcable-dot-com/surplus/images/pic64.jpg
http://home.mmcable-dot-com/surplus/images/pic102.jpg
http://home.mmcable-dot-com/surplus/images/pic111.jpg
http://home.mmcable-dot-com/surplus/images/pic113.jpg

"Nature has stored up in the universe infinite energy.
The eternal recipient and transmitter of this infinite energy is the ether".
                                       Nikola Tesla. May 20, 1891.