Re: Spark Gaps

Original poster: "Rev. K Kanno by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <presence-at-churchofinformationwarfare-dot-org>

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

> CJ,
> Something I wouldnt try at home!!! Basically, all of the energy from the
> caps is being dumped through an essentially resistance/inductance free
> circuit. With a whopping great 0.3uF maxwell i wouldnt be surprised if the
> nails completely disintergrated. The point is when you use a cap for TC use,
> the primary coil limits the current flow, because it is an inductor. That
> way the 'bang size' as it is called is comparitively small. When you just
> short out caps... welll bad stuff can happen. I wouldnt be surprised if the
> circuit was ringing up to 50kV, if the cap was exactly the right resonance
> for the transformer!!! Also, the noise produced will be because of the high
> current flow. If the resistance of the circuit is say 0.1 ohms then 9000/0.1

the noise of a discharge has to do with spark lenght as much as current. I
short out my 14uF 50kV (charged to 35kV) cap bank for fun and the bang is much
greater with pointed terminals (longer discharge length) than a shorter
discharge across two rounded objects. The sound varies from an
uninteresting bang to sound of a large rifle.

  The Exploding Fruit Challenge!    		Rev. K. Kanno

  www.energybeam-dot-com               blowup-fruit-at-energybeam-dot-com