Re: NST Connections

In a message dated 7/17/01 2:45:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Ben Murrell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> benmurrell-at-att-dot-net>
>
>  Hi all,
>          I was wondering how I would go about connecting a 9/30 NST to a
>  powersource. Would I need to add anothe rbreaker so I can run higher than
>  normal household wattage? Also, which side is the input and which side is
> the
>  output? I am using a franceformer.
>  Thanks in advance,
>              Ben

Ben,

A 9/30 NST has two large ceramic insulators at either end.  These
are the HV output terminals.  There's a smaller terminal with two
screws and nuts, this is the input terminal for 120 volts from the
house receptacle.  Since a 9/30 NST draws only 180 to 360 watts,
(depending on the coil's design), you don't need any special
breaker or  anything.  Perhaps you mean higher than normal
voltage?  This can be done using a 0 - 140 volt step up type
variac.  It's a good idea to use a variac to control the input to
a coil so you can gradually turn up the power while tuning and
adjusting, etc.  It's a good idea to use some sort of power controller
with at least a switch of some sort so you can easily turn teh coil
off or on without unplugging it from the wall.  Just use a normal
line cord and plug to attach to the NST 120V input, etc.

The NST output has BIG output insulators, because High Voltage
can jump large distances (to your hand for instance).

Be careful and don't touch anything when the coil is powered up,
or you may be killed.

John Freau