Re: Tesla Coil Plans

Original poster: "Troy Peterson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tpeterso-at-home-dot-com>

Hi Brian,

Plans are surprisingly hard to find on the internet, perhaps thats a good
thing in regards to the safty/liability thread thats going on as well. Check
this link out: http://freeweb.pdq-dot-net/headstrong/ind2.htm
I based my first tesla coil on it, with a few modifications. My advice:
don't even attempt to build the induction coil that powers it. Use an
ignition coil circuit, a flyback circuit, an NST or an OBIT. I used an OBIT.
At first I only got 1.5 inch sparks, but after playing around was able to
get three inch sparks. I later modified it (by setting it on its end and
moving the primary to the bottom) to work as a standard monopole coil and
was able to get nearly 6 inch sparks after some work. Its a small coil, but
its a fun place to start. In my opinion, a simple bipolar like this is great
to start with as well because it doesn't require an RF ground.

Good luck, have fun, and of course remember Safty First :)

Troy Peterson

> Original poster: "Brian Williams by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigmacman-at-aol-dot-com>