RE: TC efficiency, was Math help...

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Bart -

You are correct I was refering to the "overall efficiency" of a Tesla coil.
Refer to my post to John F.

I don't understand what you mean by "spark gap losses may offset any
efficiency gain". The losses determine the amount of the efficiency.

Don't confuse power with energy. The the spark length vs input power
equation is a power equation. The input power for a foot of spark can be
considered an energy equation regardless of the amount of input power.

The input power for a foot of spark always is larger for larger coils
compared to small coils. This is an indication that larger Tesla coils are
less efficient than small coils. I think Tesla mentioned this in the CS
Notes. The reason is that large coils have much heigher voltages than small
coils and this increases the corona, etc, losses per unit of output/input.

Note that coupling is not involved with efficiency, only with the
Coefficient of Leakage which is an interesting magnetic circuit limitation
for Tesla coils.

I agree we have a lot to learn about Tesla coils before we can design them
with a minimum of guestimating.

John Couture