Re: NST Ground, RF ground, the whole bit...

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

Jonathan and all,

I use a bank of three NSTs. The ground lugs are tied together and connected
to the ground in Terry's NST filter. They are not connected to the AC power
line ground.
Nor do I use an RF ground with the bipolar coil.

Below I have pasted a few of the comments posted on this subject. I am
confused.
Big news, that is. But I think a careful reading of the comments may
illustrate some
of the inconsistencies. I have interspersed a few of my comments and separated
the individual postings with the dashed line. I hope this can be followed.

Terry, the filter works fine and the diagram is clear enuff--almost. There is
confusion because you do
not say that when the filter is used the NSTs should NOT be connected to the
AC power line ground. That then would clear up the ambiguity altho the theory
may still be debatable.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman

In a message dated 7/14/01 10:58:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< <<<<All
 mains connected devices would best be grounded to the mains ground.<<<<<<<

IMHO the above sentence and the sentence below are contradictory.

 devices that are intended handle RF should be connected to RF ground along
with
 the secondary base i.e.: the NST Filter/Safety Gap, Strike Ring, etc.<<<<<<<

I agree with the sentence below. I think Malcolm wrote it. The way I read it,
Malcolm is telling us to simply keep 60 Hz, line powered devices away from
any chance of being hit by RF. The ground from Terry's filter is NOT
connected to the
mains connected devices which are grounded thru the  AC power line.

 streamer/leader/arc, then it should be connected to RF ground. This, IMHO,
 would
 very unlikely _if_ attention is paid to detail in the design and layout
 stage to
 avoid the possibility in the first place. >><<<<<

Yes, including the variac and blower motor.

<<<<<<<<<<Malcolm, Jon, Jonathan,

The NST case (or ground lug) connection should be
 wired to the AC ground prong.

 Greg
 http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg >>>>>>>>

Greg,
Does the NST case (or ground lug) go to the AC ground prong when the same
ground
in Terry's filter also goes to the RF ground as shown in the schematic?

In a message dated 7/15/01 6:43:23 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com