Re: Three phase TC-Geek Group

>Original poster: "Greg Leyh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
>Original poster: Christopher Boden <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> > We got our first 3 phase variac yesterday :) a nice big stack of 3 GE
>30Amp
> > units rated for 520VAC max (480 in). All matched and mechanicly
>paralelled
> > with a 24VDC motor drive, limit switches, and even a pot on the bottom
>for
> > position sensing....hmmmmm this is begging to be computer controlled :)
> >
> > I'm building the new control panel specificaly for the Promethious
>Project.
> > It will house the 3 variacs and a TON of other goodies. It will be fed
>from
> > 3 phase 480. I'm winding 3 secondaries all 23"x100". I see this being
>tried
> > as a 3ph coil.
>[snip]
>

>Will this system be 3-phase RF, as well as 3-phase 60Hz mains?

Mains for sure. RF yes. Though with a twist. The panel will output 0-520
(Though it will have several ranges. I'm setting up switching to be able to
change the variac taps in a matter of seconds instead of having to fight
with jumpers and such.) This will allow for as much flexibility as I can
design into the system.

The RF side of the system will be able to output to either 2 bipolar coils,
or 3 tripolar coils. Timing will be through Matlicka Triggered gaps and
completely computer controlled.

>The primary switching and charging circuits will certainly be
>an interesting design task.  What kind of primary drive scheme
>do you imagine using for this?

I really havent though too much about it as of yet, and am very open to
suggestions and ideas (This is something for the Geek List too). The big
challenge is flexibility. To change from 2 coils to 3 is a serious system
change. I want to do it with as little redundancy as possible. The easiest
possible way would be to make 2 completely seperate tank cicruits, but it's
also the most expensive.

I'd also like to setup a DC coil, this is the Group's first attempt. I have
all the required parts (Excepting the diodes, but I may have suitable ones
for that). Where can I get good DC info?

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group