Re: Space Winding - was What to look for...

In a message dated 7/14/01 9:50:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
>  <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>  > One can use thinner wire for the spacewound coil, and keep the
>  > inductance high, yet reduce the proximity effect.  According to
>  > Terman and other experts, such a coil will show lower losses
>  > than a closewound coil with thicker wire, both having the same number
>  > of turns, and the same coil length.  A 50% to 70% wire "fill" factor
>  > was deemed to be best.
>  >
>  > John Freau
>
>  This is an interesting idea! I'm assuming the filler wire is wound without
> any
>  connection (simply a filler)?
>
>  Bart

Bart,

The filler wire is the main wire, there is no other wire.  I just meant
that the main wire fills 50% to 70% of the space available.  The
gaps between wires are therefore 50 to 30% of the total space
available.  It's just a basic space wind.  I was just pointing out that
it's not necessary to lose inductance when space-winding is used,
if a thinner wire is used for the secondary winding.

John Freau