Re: Space Winding - was What to look for...

Hi David,

Tesla list wrote:

<Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>
> Hi Bart, all,
>
> I have used the fishing line to space wind secondary coils in the
> past, although it was still with enameled magnet wire. At that time,
> I was still under the impression that the windings would arc to
> each other unless spaced apart.

As you found out, closewound coils didn't short windings because the insulation
prevented it. But the coil in question was regarding non-insulated wire
which would
definately short without space winding. I wasn't sure if you missed this
detail or
not, so thought I'd reply back. Then again, maybe you didn't miss it and just
stating your space winding experience for the benefit of the group. If so,
totally
disregard.

> There are, of course, pros and cons to space winding secondaries.
> Some say that space winding is better due to the proximity effect
> of the neighboring windings, which is supposed to cause increased
> losses. However, the inductance density is also decreased by space
> winding and this is not a good thing.

Excellent point. I remember discussing this in the past (remember trying to
wind
two identical coils where one is space wound and the other is closewound?).
Funny
how hard it is to make these two coils identical. I agree with you
whole-heartedly
here. One may be better than the other under some circumstances, but the other
might better under different circumstances. Won't it be great when we
figure out
what all those circumstances are!

Take care David,
Bart