RE: Math help...

Hi John,

On 12 Jul 01, at 17:50, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

All losses in effecting an energy transfer are reflected in the Q's
of the circuits involved. Trying to separate the loss components from
each other would be difficult (save that one can quantify the
proportion of the losses occur in each circuit). One can broadly say
that losses in the secondary circuit are shared between radiation,
resistive in the secondary windings, the ground path and hysteresis
losses in the dielectrics, and those in the primary are attributable
to dielectric losses in the capacitor/s, the winding itself and the
gap plus a bit of coupling into other lossy elements (e.g. direct
coupling to a high resistance in the ground below the coil).
     One could point to those sources and minimize each, e.g.
Primary - raising the primary higher reduces coupling into the ground
        - reducing the primary currents reduces the gap loss and the
          winding loss
Secondary - increasing spacing between the secondary and other
            objects reduces losses due to coupling into other
            parasitic circuits nearby
          - improving ground conductivity and shortening the ground
            strap decreases losses in the ground path
          - using a lower loss material for the coilform reduces
            dielectric losses
and so on.

     Measuring the improvement by changing these parameters one a t
time could give a useful indication of the proportion of the total
losses each was contributing to.

Regards,
malcolm