Re: NorCal Teslathon -- Interesting Devices and Effects

Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:49:12 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Greg Leyh by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> The NorCal teslathon at the Naval Shipyard, other than having a
> wide
> range of coils in attendance, featured a number of interesting
> circuits
> and innovations.
>
> The first that caught my eye was Kennan Herrick's vertical plasma
> tube,
> which could produce a continuous chain of plasma balls in neon, with
> controllable drift velocity.  I'm still not sure how it works.

[snipped]

Not strictly on-subject but perhaps of interest:  That was an example of
my failed-product, "Neon Bubbles" (TM) (and formerly (R) except that I've
abandoned that).  It's a standing wave of ionization produced by choosing
the appropriate audio-range frequency of H.V. excitation and then very
precisely controlling the symmetry of the applied wave.  I've had a
number of patents on it, including even a Japanese one, but I've been
abandoning them also because I don't want to continue paying the
"maintenance" fees.

My U.S. patent on that is #4,862,042; it can be found via
http://patents.ibm-dot-com/. Anyone seriously interested in more
details...contact me off-List.

Unhappily, the electronic "transformer" that powered the neon column
became damaged, evidently by the nearby high EM fields from the Tesla
coils, so I am having to fix that.

As to my Entertainment Machine (a.k.a. Tesla coil) itself, see my prior
postings on the List for my comments on that and my offer of
documentation.

Ken Herrick
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.