Re: 811A first light

Hi Brent, all,
                There is an interesting variation which I recently
read about in a book on SMPS design which no-one seems to have
mentioned on the list. This is class F and is considerably more
efficient than class C. At this stage, I'm not sure whether it is
applicable to TCs but looking at the circuit configuration suggests
it is. The author was discussing resonant SMPS topologies and looking
at RF circuits. There is an interesting catch to it though.
      The nub of the idea is to run an oscillator (in the author's
case it was a solid state device) in what looks like class C with a
resonant tank drain (plate) load but with a 1/4 wave delay line run
between the drain and the tank. The line is used as a PFN and allows
the power device to run with squarewaves rather than haversines.
Basically the line is loaded with a high end impedance (parallel
tank) and as we all know, a quarterwave line has resonances at f/4,
3f/4, 5f/4 and so on (I know that the tssp modelling gives slightly
different values for a TC resonator) with the result that the line
presents a more-or less constant impedance to a squarewave source at
the driven end. Something I'll look into one day if I ever get the
time.

Regards,
Malcolm

On 10 Jul 01, at 8:08, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Brent Turner by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bturner-at-apc-dot-net>