Re: My First Toob Coil

Original poster: "Herwig Roscher by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

Shad wrote:
> With many thanks to my buddy James, my first toob coil is well
> underway.

Shad,

Welcome on board!

> I don't know about the current ratings of the tank cap.
- For me this formula, kindly provided by Bert Hickman, worked
very well:

Maximum circulating current = plate voltage / SQRT (L/C)

Example: For Vp = 10,000 VDC, L = 135 µH and C = 3174 pF the
maximum circulating current will be 48.5 A.

>   How critical is the value of the tank cap and grid leakage cap?
- If "value" meant "capacity": The tank cap should tune the primary
coil exactly to the natural frequency of the resonator.

The grid leak cap is not too critical.

> The grid leakage R determines the "breakrate" of the toob coil.
- It influences the grid current as well. Certainly you do not want to
exceed the specified value.

Good luck!

Herwig