Re: Complete destruction if the Geeks perfectly good p133...

>Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>
>
>Hi all (esp. chris)
>
>I had a look at the pics from the geek frying that poor old PC... I am very
>impressed, and I have a couple of questions, and a theory...
>
>Theory - why the motherboard didnt die when it was hit with arcs - the
>capacitance between the ceramic casing of the chip and the air, and the
>board and the air caused the skinn effect to take place, making the
>electricity shoot over the surface of the board/components to the grounded
>case, not damaging it.

Great theory, but you're overlooking a few things. :)

The leads to ALL the components on the MB are exposed, carrying the currents
directly into the chips. And I don't think that the sub 50 micron spacing of
the internal chip connects has much standoff :)

Dont ask me about the reeboot thou :)

There is a "Power Good" lead that runs to most everything inside a computer,
if you frob this it causes a spontanious soft reboot. Do a Google search on
Magic - More Magic and see if you can find the tale of a special switch :)

>Question - What dod you plug the computer into? It seems pretty daft to
>plug
>it into the mains when you have a million volt arcs hitting the thing...

Yup, right into mains 120. Through a extention cord and power strip, thy
both work fine.

>Question 2 - I have a pretty pants computer and wouldnt mind one that could
>take million volt arcs  and still work - who was the computer made by?

Hewlett Packard parts mostly, assembled by THE GEEK GROUP! HA!

Just
>to show how well it must have been built...

It's a tough little bugger :) It's a duplicate of hte systems on the desks
of the office staff.

>Jason
>
>Geek # 1139 Rank G-1
>www.thegeekgroup-dot-org