RE: Superconductivity

Original poster: "Richard Wayne Wall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

Pete K,

A Cu "T" with  liquid N2 issuing out the ends of the "T" bar in the middle of
two outside electrodes is a very good idea.  I forget the superconducting term,
but some SC materials don't have a sharp break or knee where they suddenly
superconduct below a certain temperature.  Their SC resistance knee is a
gradual slope down with decreasing temperature.  And, guess what?  Copper is
one of them!  With the right configuration the Copper "T" bar could become part
of the gap itself with very, very low resistance.  Along with very low
resistance comes very low power loses and heat.  IR loses should be quite low.
Also cooling the side electrodes would allow a very narrow gap setting as only
liquid/gas N2 would be in the gaps on both sides.  Adding a triggered gap would
be very easy also because only very low power would be required to trigger a SC
gap.

Wow, what a switch!  This gap will be like none we have ever observed.  I
venture to say it will be silent, with out heat and probably no light.

Anyone know if tungsten superconducts?

RWW