Re: spark gap question...

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

gary,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

i should have specified that it isn't the dimmer circuit that appears to
be shutting down no matter the tank energy, it was when i was using the
pulse driver circuit i sent on with another post.

> Sorry marc, I have to differ.  Plasma in a spark gap will continue to
> conduct for as long as current is able to flow, regardless of trigger
> electrode activity.  Your trigger source is a lamp dimmer discharging a
> cap into some kind of step-up transformer.  The timing of your trigger
> pulse relative to the mains is variable by means of the dimmer control,
> but its pulse width (i.e. the end of the trigger pulse relative to the
> start of the pulse) is not independently controllable, and would have no
> effect if it were.
>
> I didn't follow you about "if the plasma channel is totally removed".
> If there's no plasma, there's no spark gap?

if there is enough airflow to pull all plasma from the gap without the
triggered assistance, then the gap shuts down. kind of like a jacobs
ladder will only travel so far up the electrodes. with the variable
pulse rate driver i could definitely here the gap changing pitch as i
turned the driver up and down. the sound at higher frequencies was
almost musical. if the gap wasn't shutting down i wouldn't have noticed
any pitch change correct? i will say at higher break rates i had to add
another 12\30 nst in order to charge the tank and streamer length
consistently decreased. since there is some interest in the quenching of
the gap at this time, i will setup for some data gathering asap. i'll
try to get some storage captures and frequency of the triggered pulse
and anything else i can think of, i might be asking for some suggestions
when the time comes? need to finish a few projects and get the hay in
first.
thank you,
marc