Pig Painting

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

The Geek Group now has the sexiest Pig on Earth!

We removed all the paint with 3 types of sandpaper and a RA-Sander. Then cut
off the pole-mount loops (removing the maker-plate in the process,
unfortunately), ground down the weld-seam and all extranious hardware,
bumps, hickeys, etc. Ground out the pitting (it wasn't deep enough for Bondo
to be needed), and sanded it all down again to complete bare metal.

Then we wiped it down with degreaser and then dry cloths until they wiped
off clean. Masked everything off. Went over it completely with tack-cloth to
remove any lint. Placed it in the booth (yeah, our faraday cage) on wood
blocks, hung up the hoop on a chain, and went over everything with
tack-cloth again.

Thick coat of black primer, then 20 minutes to set, thick coat of Jet black,
then 20 minutes to set, thick coat of clear, then 30 minutes to set, then a
really light coat of clear (a special super hard type to protect it), and
then baked at 160F for 35 minutes (air, not lights).

When we pulled off the masking everyone in the shop stopped and came to
look. We all stood there and glowed :)

It's absolutly striking, the shine is about 3' thick and is a perfect
mirror. Geek-3 doesn't look this good.

The compression ring was replaced (scratching the paint like mad, but it's
under the ring and no-one will ever see it). and then we set it aside to
cure for a week before we letter it (Vinal lettering, like on the
Geekmobiles). During this week we will build the cart for it.

Pics will post on the site tomorrow (Friday) by noon. Check it out, If
anyone else out there has done a Pig-Beautification project let me know,
we'd love to see it! Maybe we'll start a new artform :) I would be happy to
donate space on our site to anyone out there with beautiful pig pics.

Thanks guys for your help on this, it's made a world of difference. Now we
need to know what to name it (and NO Wilbur and Babe are NOT an option).

Have fun!

The artist formerly known as Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek / Angle Grinder God
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org