Painting a Pig (was Re: Power Coating Caution (was: RE: Pig Beautification and Craftsmanship))

Original poster: "Alan Yang by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <megavolt121-at-mediaone-dot-net>

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 3:58 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Power Coating Caution (was: RE: Pig Beautification and
Craftsmanship)

The little pressure vessel isn't for letting out the vent the air inside for
when you run in the winter. In fact you shouldn't ever need to pull it. A
Friend of mine once ran a pig powered coil. Pumping in way too many amps he
was like "Gee i wonder what's wrong" and kept looking at his coil with a
confused look. After checking to see that everything was right he decided
again to pump more power into the pig. A few seconds later we heard a
PSSSTTT(like a fart). Then noticed that his PIG literally farted out smoke,
oil, etc.
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/megavolt121/dead_pig.jpg
That valve is there to save your life(well save a high voltage line pole in
the intended use) from being blown to bits.

I dont see the point of all your high tech paints when a simple coat or two
of spray paint will do the job? Hey lotta home mechanics use that stuff on
their engines, and your engine will always be hotter than your pig(which
shouldn't ever get hot in TC use unless you run for EXTENDED periods of
time). All you would have to do is put a few coats of paint on, then a few
clear coats to protect it. If you get an occasional scratch in the future,
just respray it.

-Alan

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Cool pics, I'm suprised the wall was still there.

We will NOT be powder-coating the pig. Though our Pig isn't a pressure
vessel (there's a poppet valve on ours to vent the air inside when it gets
warm, must run in a slight vacuum in the winter). A childhood of making
stationary steam engines (mostly in the "G" scale for you
ferroequineologists out there) has left me with a VERY healthy respect for
pressure vessels. I watched a Live-Steam boiler rupture between a mans legs
(he was sitting on the locomotive, a replica Baldwin) when his sight-glass
failed and he injected water into a hot-empty boiler. The crown-plate
flash-boiled the water and even though he had a pair of safety valves (set
at about 200psi) the volume of steam was no contest. He died a concussion /
Lobster style death and that stuck with me. The biggest pressure vessel I
ever made (and one of only 3 boilers) was a "Nifty 9 Tuber" vertical boiler,
all my other toys ran on compressed air from the compressor in Dads shop.

How hot can a Pig get without problems? We ARE planning on painting it, and
this requires the use of an automotive paint booth (yeah, it's our faraday
cage) where the pig will be baked after the primer coat, base coat, and
clear coat. What special precautions should we take (other than removing the
poppet-valve to ensure venting)? I know these will operate in summer,
full-sun, under load so I'm assumeing they can take 150F with ease, is this
so?

Now on to invent a Tesla-coil discharge heated boiler for that next
Heistler.......hmmmmmmmmmm

Electricity - steam - motion....interesting though usually it's Steam -
motion - electricity :)

lol

Have Fun!

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1