Re: Lightning Arrestors (was Geek Pig)

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Almost certainly they are a stack  and zinc oxide (or some proprietary
blend of zinc, bismuth, and cobalt compounds) disks.  Essentially a stack
of MOVs.  The idea is to conduct the lightning to ground, without allowing
a follow on arc from the power line, and without dissipating too much power.

The MOVs are not infinite life.  Each time they take a hit, they die a
little.  The breakdown voltage decreases a bit, and the leakage current
increases.  Typical leakage currents are cited as 0.5 to 1 mA.

Even in California, powerline components are tough (our problems are
financial.. it's a shortage of money, not kWh)

The metal oxide arresters replace the old magnetically blown arc arresters,
which formed an arc, and then used the arc current to create a magnetic
field that blew out the arc.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>