Ballasting Basics

Original poster: "Ryan Ries by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <spud-at-pureinsanity-dot-net>

I have some basic ballasting questions.  First of all, am I to understand
that it takes 10kva worth of microwave oven transformers in order to
ballast a circuit to 10kva?  Since it is said that your ballast will only
pull as much current as it will pull in it's normal environment, that seems
logical.  If all that is true, why not just turn the MOT's around and use
THEM to power the entire coil?