Re: getting three phase power

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Jim, Eric, All!

Just for the record, in a last ditch effort to beat off
Fessenden, Alexanderson, Poulsen and de Forest, Marconi
(determined man!) set up three rotary spark gap primaries,
with the gaps on a common shaft phased 120 degrees apart,
feeding into one secondary so that the damped wave output
from each primary partly filled in the holes from the others
to give semi-continuous wave output.  OK so it isn't
_really_ three phases, but I thought you'd like to know ;-)

Sounds like sheer desperation to me, but no doubt somewhere
out there is a Tesla coil builder equally desperate to use
three phase ac without using rectifiers!

Dunckx