Re: getting three phase power

In a message dated 1/19/01 8:46:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Can anyone give me ONE good reason why you would need/want to power a Tesla
>  coil with 3-phase??

Eric,

Lou Balint has proposed a method of using 3 separate drivers to
power a magnifier resonator.  Each driver would run on a separate
phase.  Each driver would run at 120 bps, but the combined bps
of the system is 360 bps.  Lou suggests that this method would
be useful for an extremely large system if the needed components
are too large to be obtained in single units, or too costly, etc.  In
my opinion, this type of system would be less efficient than a
single driver.  Just thought I'd mention it.  I am not endorsing the
idea.... just mentioning it.

Also, Greg Leyh's 3 phase DC systems work very nicely, and
avoid much of the 60Hz interactions that would occur if he used
single phase.

For a small or medium typical coil, I certainly don't see any need
for desire for 3 phase power.

John