Re: Average, RMS and Power Factor made easy!

Hi Darren,

Ok, I "think" I have it all figured out *:-)

The scope is indeed correct.  A 0 to 5 volt 50% duty cycle square wave has
an RMS value of SQRT(5^2 x 0.5) = 3.535534...  The HP meter is "AC coupled"
(I had to actually get out and read the manual for that one :-)).  When I
put the scope on AC coupling, it too then read 2.5 volts.  However, that is
not correct since there is a DC offset in the signal the HP meter misses.

So the RMS value of the original 0-5 volt 50% duty square wave is indeed
0.7071... VRMS.  Good catch!!

Also a good demonstration of why this stuff is so tricky let alone the
marketing tricks of the audio amp folks ;-))

Cheers,

	Terry