Re: More destroyed NST's How do I remove stubborn tar?

Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>

I've depotted one 15/60 Franceformer - successfully or not, I don't yet
know.  It looks pretty clean, and I don't see any damage, but I haven't
tried it out yet.  I'm a little unclear about what to do next - I've
read they can be run dry, but I'm skeptical.  It seems like it would be
pretty easy for the secondaries to arc to the core.

It certainly isn't (or wasn't for me) as easy as most descriptions make
it sound.  I used a hotplate, and as you described, got tar dribbling
out of the bottom seams.  Then I used the hotplate on the two sides, and
scraped out the tar when it got  soft.  It took a while, and there were
layers of mica and junk to pull out.  Then I split the case at the seams
with a chisel - rather easy, as it was spot welded.  With the help of
heavy tin snips, I got the case off (destroying the case, unlike
descriptions I've read where you just repot it  with vaseline in the
original case).  I chipped away as much tar as I could with a
screwdriver, but always being careful to drive it at a tangent to the
surface, especially near the coils.  Some large chunks peeled away from
the core rather easily when hot.

Then, I soaked it in mineral spirits (you said mineral oil - did you
mean spirits?  I wouldn't think oil would work).  This was the messy
part - every few days checking it, seeing what I could get off, still
using a screwdriver (carefully).  I used my bare hands quite a bit to
massage off loose tar - it doesn't damage the windings, but... I had my
hands in that stuff quite a bit, and I could definitely feel that it's
not a good thing - strange sensations on the back of the hand afterward
- finally got a good pair of neoprene gloves.  Eventually got to the
point where I could seperate the two halves of the core (the 15/60
Franceformer has two E shaped halves), and remove the windings.  Then I
soaked the windings in a fresh batch of mineral spirits, and put the E
shaped laminations and shunts back in the original slop.

Soaking took about three gallons of mineral spirits, and two weeks, with
repeated taking it out and removing what I could however I could -
mostly screwdriver, some toothbrush near the end.

So now I've got it all clean, but I haven't yet figured out just how I'm
going to reassemble it, as far as insulating the secondaries from the
core.

It would be nice to be able to buy the basic parts from the factory -
the core, shunts, primary and secondaries.  After all, part of the cost
of the NST goes toward all the stuff we go through such great pains to
undo.  The parts - core,  shunts, primary and secondaries, new and
untouched by tar - should be cheaper than the finished NST's.  Perhaps a
special order - NST's  with just that last step - filling it with tar -
left out.  Case and all, with whatever kind of insulation (mica,
etc...), just ready for us to fill with something other than tar
(vaseline, transformer oil).  The case might need some kind of sealant
at the seams - not sure what would work.  The only problem being they
might not be able to factory test them without potting (perhaps test at
a lower voltage?).

BTW, I don't have a coil yet - I'm moving along slowly but surely toward
that.

	-  Bill Vanyo

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Garry Freemyer by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Garry-at-NDFC-dot-com>