Re: Tracking inside secondary former

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Michael,

Tesla list wrote:

> <Clearspring1-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> This leaves me wondering why David had such success with his Sonotube
> baffles which were a "snug" fit in the secondary former, but were not sealed
> to the former.  Perhaps a significant volume of air is required for this
> interface phenomenon to take place?

I should point out that my coil (sonotube, nearly identical to Davids) uses
only wooden end caps that were cut to fit on the inside flush at each end of
the coil, then held in with small wooden dowels and silicone adhesive. The
winding itself is wound center on the coil and about 2" away from the end caps.
I've never had an internal tracking problem. In essense, there are no baffles
on this coil from one end of the winding to the other. I have shorted turns on
the outside early on, but due to tuning blunders under high power.

Regardless, I feel as you do that baffles are cheap insurance and worth the few
minutes of work to mount them. As far as mounting methods are concerned, on
sonutube style secondary's, I like to mount a 2" pvc pipe from end cap to end
cap for various reasons (each end cap has a hole cut center to slide over the
2" pvc). With this in mind, simply sliding a couple extra caps down the pvc
pipe and into the secondary and adhering with silicone should be an easy
recipe. The center 2" pvc pipe is used for additional secondary support and if
allowed to protrude through the top a foot makes a good support for attaching
various top loads at various heights, testing equipment, etc..

Take care,
Bart