Re: Tracking inside secondary former

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Michael,

A good example of carbon tracking occurred on a sparkgap I had built just to
see how it would perform (spinning copper pipes). During the testing, I had
found a great loss in performance and found that the wooden fixture used to
mount the stationary's to had carbon tracked. Obviously, this was due to
attaching the electrodes to the wooden frame rather than insulating them from
the wooden frame. Although the "gap" between stationary electrodes was huge,
the path provided by the wooden frame was conductive enough to conduct at the
high voltages.

The same simple situation can occur on a secondary form, primary, etc... Where
there are voltage nodes large enough to conduct along a surface body (from one
node to the other), it will surely do so. Causes of this might be the form
material itself or even from the form being dirty. Once there is an arc from
point a to b, there will be carbon. This creates a conductive path until the
carbon track acts as a short (that's when the burning starts).

I see basic principles involved here: voltage potential between two points and
if anything between the two points has a low enough resistance to arc at that
potential (air included).

Bart