RE: Average, RMS and Power Factor made easy!

Original poster: "35045 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <free0076-at-flinders.edu.au>

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

> Hi,
>
> Back in the early 1970s there was a law passed, or the threat of a law being
> passed, or something that happened to cause the "industry" to adopt a common
> standard for the rating of power in audio equipment.
>
> I just wanted to jump in
> here and say that the watts RMS power rating as found in audio equipment is
> a comparison standard, not electrical engineering terminology.

Aaaah, makes sense at last.. Thanks for that explanation. I just _knew_
that the whole industry had to be abusing the term =)

> later
> deano

Have fun,
Darren Freeman