Re: Grounding

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Corey!

Date: 16 January 2001 15:27
Subject: Grounding

>Original poster: "Corey May by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <cbmay-at-home-dot-com>

>Hello, I have a question that I was wondering. What were to
happen is you were
>to forget about grounding the secondary coil....just
leaving the first wraped
>wire where it ends. My last wrap is expoxyed on and I was
planing to cut it
>close to the formed so there would be no wire hanging loose
on the end....good
>idea or bad? Thanks
>
>Corey

Well, ordinarily I'd say bad.  However, I have occasionally
run my 500VA coil accidentally without any ground connection
to the secondary, and it didn't notice the difference, and
nor did I until I discovered my error afterwards. Yet my
15VA coil is not happy without a ground!  A riddle wrapped
up in a puzzle inside an enigma, as someone once said . . .

Despite my experience I can't recommend that you
deliberately run your coil ungrounded, but you might want to
try the thing firstly with grounding the base of the
secondary and secondly without, see if it makes a noticeable
difference and decide then.  It's a bit late to change your
mind once you've cut that wire!

Dunckx