Re: primary in secondary

Original poster: "Greg Leyh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Has anyone ever attempted putting the primary coil INSIDE the secondary? The
> first time I saw a picture of Greg Leyh's new zealand coil, I thought the
> primary was inside, but upon seeing a closer pic, it ocurred to me it was
> just a two turn primary directly beneath the seconary. If one could immerse
> the whole thing in HV oil, wouldn't it make a good maggie driver?
> Just a thought...
>
> -Mike Novak

Electrum's primary coil is actually fully immersed in the secondary;
that is, the secondary winding terminates about 4.5 inches below the
base of the primary winding.  A 5/8" thick PVC sleeve isolates the
two windings.  The primary winding has 10 turns total, with tuning
taps at turns 8,9, and 10.  Turn #9 is typically employed.

A pic of the primary coilform:
http://www.lod-dot-org/electrum/pricoil.jpg

Had I the choice, I would have preferred a much larger primary winding,
located outside the secondary.  A primary coil that is wide compared
with the secondary provides a much more uniform magnetic field across
the entire secondary, utilizing the whole secondary more effectively.
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org