Re: Ryan's Coil = DOA :(

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Matt,

Not necessarily. It depends on what type of form is used. Terry has
measured the
loss in a sonotube to appear quite high. However, losses in plastic forms
is pretty
low. For building a big coil at a low cost, sonotubes are the obvious
choice and
they work just fine. However, to reduce the sonotube loss, the sonotube can be
removed (they are designed for this exact purpose with cement pillars).
Seems like
a good method if building a large coil for max efficiency. I may eventually
do this
with my own 12.75" sonotube coil. I've been thinking about it for years,
but just
haven't got around to it. If building a smaller coil where available
plastic piping
is cheap and easy to get, then that would be just as good as a formless
secondary.

Take care,
Bart