Re: Tank circuit L/C ratio

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Can you define what would be "surge impedance"? High L, low C certainly
> reduces the current in the primary by rising its impedance level, but
> I don't see how an special kind of impedance comes from this.
>
> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

	I learned the term "surge impedance" in college, almost 60 years ago.
The definition was

	Zs = sqrt(L/C)

This is equal to the reactance of either L or C at the resonant
frequency of the referenced circuit, whatever it may be.  (Work it
out.)  Convenient for Q calculations and stuff like that.  Higher L/C
ratios result in higher impedances, nothing more than that, and nothing
magic at all.

Ed