Re: Chaotic Resonance(Solid State Coilers)

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <free0076-at-flinders.edu.au>

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Eng.Sun-dot-com>

> I find this interesting because my back-of-the-envelope calculation using
> the traditional resonance-capacitor formula yeilded a different value.
>
> 	1 / (2 * PI * 8,300/0.020 * 50) = 7.6nF
>
> I wonder whats wrong here. Did you try a capacitor value near 7.6?
>
> -Pete Lawrence.

It's true that the capacitance value you calculated will draw roughly 20mA
from the transformer when it is the only thing connected to the
transformer, but that has absolutely nothing to do with resonance.
Resonance is when the internal inductance is cancelled by the external
capacitance producing a purely resistive load and a large voltage across
the capacitor. This capacitance is independent of the current capacity of
the transformer and the voltage you drive it with, it only depends on the
internal inductance which should be roughly fixed.

Darren Freeman