Toroid performance

Original poster: "Steve & Jackie Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-com>

Question about toroid smoothness:

I would like to learn of the experiences of those who have replaced a dryer
duct or corregated drain pipe toroid with a professional quality smooth,
polished metal toroid fo the same size and capacitance.  What I am wondering is
if the layer of air near the surface of a toroid becomes highly ionized, and
acts as a conductive shell around the toroid?  If this is the case, then does
this ionized air layer help smooth out the roughness of aluminum dryer duct or
foil covered toroids so they perform about as well as the beautiful spun
toroids?

The bottom line question is, outside of the wonderful eye appeal of a well made
spun metal toroid, does it really perform much better electrically than the
typical home made aluminum tape covered ones?

Thanks,
--Steve