Re: List up & new member

Original poster: "Mick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mick-at-petrie.hotkey-dot-net.au>

Hi Guys,

Joined the list the other day and have been amazed at the amount of posts to
this list. I joined the list to Update my knowledge on all things Tesla
(including coils) I made a small one when I was 15 years old (that  was 43
years ago) and now have found a new interest in coiling again. I have been into
electronics for the past 40 years and like all into electronics, will die with
a soldering Iron in my hands. I have been messing around with a small coil that
I first saw the circuit for in a Popular Machines magazine back in the 1950's
and using my memory from 40 odd years ago of the circuit I built it but will
have to turn to you guys for advise on matters Tesla.
The coil that I made has a primary winding of 15 turns of 11 gauge wire(2.55mm)
on a former 6 1/2" Dia. and space wound over 2 1/2"
The secondary is 1725 turns of .4mm wire wound on a 2.1/4" dia. former about
27" long.
The Cap is 3 metal plates 10"x8" with glass plates between the metal plates and
on the outsides(4 sheets glass) and is not oil filled yet.
I have made up several Capitors with mixed success (8 plates gave me a 2 1/2"
long spark,3 plates about 1 1/2 " and 16 plates about 1" spark.
I am using a transformer from a Minolta Photo Copy machine (model
no.hvm-6015-3B)
with 220v / 240v input and it is shown as having 12KV -at- 2mA output.

                          HV
)
spark gap           (
to 12KV-------------|-----------------o
o---------------------(-                        )
|                                             )                       (
|                                            (                         )
              ____            )                       (
Capitor         ____                                         (
Pri.                   )Sec

to 12KV

The above is about the best circuit I can do on a key board.
             Any advice guys ( sorry I do not have the Internet, only Email)

Thanks, Michael Harley in Sunny Brisbane Australia.