Re: Secondary Wire (also staccato coil tests.)

In a message dated 1/2/01 9:12:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Will 20 gauge bell wire work, or must it be magnet wire?

ANT, all,

I'm assuming you're refering to the wire for the secondary?  Bell
wire could be used, especially on a larger coil.  Generally magnet
wire is prefered because it's easier to get a lot of turns within a
reasonable space.  Large coils often use rather thick insulated wire.

In other news,  I today replaced my two 833A tubes in my 24" spark
level shifted tube coil, with just one 833C tube.  This caused the
spark length to drop to 22", but the one 833C tube handled the
power well, and developed only a little plate redness after a good
while.  But the sparks are not as frantic and dancing with the one tube,
so I'll probably keep the two tubes in this coil, and save the (3)
833C's for a *killer* tube coil.  HO HO  !!

John Freau