RE: Optimum performance: Coil specs.

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Simon -

The optimum performance for Tesla coils is the Holy Grail of Tesla coils.
Hundreds of Tesla coils have been built in the past, but unfortunately,
there have been too few tests made, except for sparks, of these coils to
determine the optimum parameters for a particular size coil.

However, as a start you should select a certain watt input which you have
done. The next step is to design a secondary circuit to give you an
operating frequency. The primary circuit is then designed to resonate to
this frequency. The equations are
    LpCp = LsCs   and  F = 1/(6.823xsqrt(LxC))
Finding the optimum parameters for these equations are the problem. The
equations not only have to balance but also have to meet the proper
requirements for energy balance in the primary and secondary circuits. This
means making a resonable estimate of the efficiencies involved. A computer
program is a help but the proper program is not available yet. Coilers
usually do some design calculations but build mostly by trial and error
methods.

John Couture