Re: Ragowski(sp?) coils

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Hi Bert

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for providing some more detail - I remember Richard discussing
> this a while back, but this provides more missing info. Did he build his
> own integrator with a high slew rate integrator? Calibration for very
> high currents was done via comparison with calculated peak currents for
> high-current discharge with known L and C and attenuators on output? I
> was looking at buying a high current one (100 kA), but the cost was
> almost $1k for the coil and battery powered integrator module, so I
> opted to use a Current Viewing Resistor (CVR) instead...

---------------------SNIP--------------------------------
Richard likewise used a CVR.  The distributed R idea was published in an
article on RC's in Power Conversion & Intelligent Motion (PCIM) Trade
Magazine about 2-3 years ago.  A flexible RC is made by somebody
(I believe the firm is in the UK), with integral op amp filtering.  The unit
was flexible similar to a "clip-on" ammeter, to allow temporary mounting
around bus bars on VSD's, traction drives, etc.

Good hearing from you Bert!
Regards
Dave Sharpe , TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA