Re: tesla coil

Hi Josh,

A common problem with first coils :-)  Don't worry, we'll figure it out.

I think you meant a 5 inch center primary taped at 3 turns and a 1.75 inch dia.
secondary with 680 turns of wire.

The cap size for a 9/30 is 8.842uF resonant at 200 BPS and the LTR (static gap)
size is 12nF.  So you should be fine using a 12nF cap.  If your NST is only
20mA instead of 30mA that may be a bit of a problem but I think something else
is wrong.  Info on this is in the tables at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/NSTStudy/NSTStudy.htm

My first guess would be that the primary and secondary are not tuned to the
same frequencies.  I don't have enough information to calculate the frequencies
here but If you let me know I can run the numbers.  I need to know the missing
info below:

Transformer voltage: 9kV
Transformer current: 30mA

Primary coil inner diameter: 5 inches
Primary coil turns: 3
Primary coil distance between turns: ??

Primary cap size : 12nF

type of spark gap: ??

Secondary coil diameter: 1.75 inches
Secondary coil turns: 680
Secondary coil length: ??
Height of first turn of secondary coil above primary coil: ??

Terminal diameter (side to side): ??
Width of donut section if it is a toroid: ??
Height of terminal (center) above primary coil: ??

I think that is everything :-)  With this data I can pretty much figure
everything out.  A 9kV/30mA NST should do about 25 inch arcs if everything is
just right, so something must be wrong.

Cheers,

        Terry