Why do TC's use line filters wired in reverse

Original poster: "Ray Robidoux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <robidoux-at-basystems-dot-com>

Hi All,

I'm curious. Almost every time I see a reference to the use of line filters
in
TCs, the user speaks of wiring them in reverse. Coilers seem to use them as
if
their original intent was to filter the AC line of any noise coming INTO
your
equipment. My experience with line filters is that they are used for the
exact
same reason that we use them. Namely to prevent any electrically conducted
interference getting into the AC power line FROM your equipment. If they are
designed for exactly what we need them to do, then why do coilers wire them
in
reverse? I would imagine that the LC network inside these filters will not
work
as well, and in fact may be totally useless, if used in the wrong direction.
If
I am going to add the expense of a line filter to my coil I think the
discussion
of how to make it effective would be worth while. I for one say that they
MUST
be wired as designed IMHO, and I would really appreciate any and all
thoughts
from others.

Ray.