Re: The AutoCoil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Matt.  You know, what scares me is the idea of a high potential field
anywhere around a gasoline driven vehicle.  I mean, what if, while you
are operating your car coil that somehow your vehicle came into contact
with a ground source?  Most, if not all gas tank level sender devices
utilize a negative ground.  What if, somehow, something or some part of
your wiring got ahold of a high potential Tesla discharge?   Maybe even
through a human being as a ground path?  Would that be dangerous?  The
neon lighting that is used for undercarriage and license plate wiring may
not be too dangerous, and may run at a few thousand volts. And since you
realize that the automotive ignition system requires 20,000 volts or so
to fire your plugs it may not be a problem, but that is a low tension
D.C. device.  But you are talking about a Tesla that may impart upwards
of 250,000 volts or better to get the results you want.  And perhaps
using an inverter to gain a higher powered A.C. field, well, I would be
very careful if I were you. It may be a pocket rocket!  Sounds dangerous
to me!  A diesel fired engine, maybe.  But gasoline is pretty darn
volatile.  I would be very careful.  It sounds too dangerous to me.
JMO.    Al.

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:12:48 -0700 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Matt Skidmore by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <fox-at-woozle-dot-org>
>
> Someone had mentioned making a small tesla coil that would operate
> on
> their car. well i had thought of this beforehand and may attempt to
> try
> this. i have a pickup truck and thought it might be cool to sit this
> in
> the back near the tailgate. couple of questions have come up
> thought.
> grounding being the most important. some people do not ground their
> coils.
> how do you get away with this? the coils i have built insist on
> being
> grounded otherwise they arc to the primary. maybe insultaing the end
> would
> stop this? how about stepping up the voltage from a regular car
> battery? i
> think ive seen some neon transformers built for cars but i wouldnt
> know
> where to find one and iver never seen a spec rating for them. i
> suppose if
> they couldnt be found the apperatus is avalible for stepping up to
> 120 and
> then using a regular neon transformer. lastly, if the topload could
> be
> elevated enough and the sparks werent extremely long you could
> probably
> get away without having it strike your vehicle and damaging
> anything.
>
> thoughts?
>
> -matt

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!