Re: The incredible inedible ignition coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Fucian-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/24/01 7:15:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> There is a problem with the 555 timer plus 2N3055 route. The 2N3055 actually
> needs quite a bit of current to drive it into conduction, and the standard
> 555 timer is running at its limit, it is better to use a darlington pair in
> this configuration, or a power mosfet. The 555 plus 2N3055 may work for a
> time, but the chip may burn out at any time.

WOW!!!!!!Thats the answer to my 555 ic probs!Ive been losing them in handfuls
with no explanation.Now i read the 2n3055 is the prob!No wonder theu all died
after a few MINUTES!

matt