Re: Does it matter which way i wind my secondary?

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Are you referring to the polarity of the first peak of the
secondary
> > voltage of a heavily-coupled coil?
>
> Heavily coupled or not. If you invert the winding direction of the
> secondary (simpler to invert the connections of the primary) all the
> waveforms will be upside-down, and the first peak of the secondary
> voltage that causes breakout will or have a different polarity or
> be at a different time of the energy transfer proccess.
>
> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

	Agree that the polarity/phase of the secondary voltage will reverse if
you invert the winding direction.  Question was this: For a
lightly-coupled coil the voltage buildup will be pretty gradual, so I
don't see how any particular peak - positive or negative - would be
distinctive enough be favored.  For a heavily coupled (and loaded, of
course) the first peak will be much more distinct. Has anyone shown that
there really is a change in breakout voltage when you reverse the
windings?  I'm curious, not criticizing.

Ed