Re: Recent power arc experiments

Hi Boris,

First, let me say that this is an ultra cool experiment!!

I think I know why the resistors stayed cool!

My testing has shown that arcs are about 220 kohm plus 1pF per foot of arc
impedance.  The nine 1500 ohm resistors are only 13.5 kohms of resistance.
Thus, most of the heat energy (95%) was being dissipated in the arc rather
than the resistors.  I have some TC output impedance data at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/impedance/impedance.html

that may help a bit with getting the resistors impedance matched better.
However, I think you need much more resistance.  Assuming the RMS current
is constant, the heating will be proportional to the resistance.  The 13.5
kohm was just too small.  If you can find the effective output impedance of
the coil, then you can match a resistance that will allow the maximum power
transfer to the resistors.  It will be hard since the arc resistance is in
between the two...  Maybe try 500 kohms and see what happens then...

Cheers,

	Terry