Re: Formulas

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Jason,

Only 2 or 3 weeks ago there was discussion on the list regarding awg formula's.
Keep in mind, manufacturer tolerances vary one from the other as well as their
wire diameter for the same awg size. Yes, they are close to one another, but
there are subtle differences and with hundreds of turns, these tolerances and
differences build over the length of the coil. It's a good idea to measure
(with caliper) the bare wire diameter and the insulated wire once you have the
wire spool in your possession.

There are about 4 or 5 different formula's that were presented. All are good.
a lot of information there more than an one post can do justice.

Also, take a look at
<http://www.classictesla-dot-com/java/javatc.html>http://www.classictesla-dot-com/ja
va/javatc.html
I chose to display my calculation next to each cell for anyone to extrapolate
as needed. It will give you an idea how I set up calculating the various
aspects. It does not calc awg size. I chose to throw in a table that displayed
wire sizes so that the secondary calcs were not limited to a particular wire or
insulation type. However, in my excel version, I first started with awg size
with the power to override as needed. Excel is the perfect tool for this stuff.

Take care,

Bart A.