Re: S.s. info... differing secondaries

Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:07:13 -0700 "Tesla list"
<<mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
> Original poster: "R.E.Burnett by way of Terry Fritz
> <<mailto:twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<<mailto:R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>

> Hi Ken,
>
> Your results are very interesting,  but I wonder whether you are
> really
> seeing the effects of the different switching frequency,  or whether
> there
> is something else going on here.
>
> Have you ruled out the effects of humidity on your tests.  I have
> seen
> considerable variation in the spark length from my little SSTC with
> changes in humidity.  (eg. 18" spark in dry weather,  but down to
> 13" in
> damp foggy weather.)  I have also seen a change when bringing a
> resonator
> in from a cold room.  Just a thought.

I haven't seen any changes due to humidity (we do get rain in CA) but I'll keep
that possibility in mind.  Last time I measured the Q of the 52" coil it was
with pouring rain 10' away thru the open door--and that Q measured higher than
the day before when it was dry outside.

> I guess if your input power is similar in both cases and the spark
> is
> weaker with one resonator then the "missing" power must be being
> dissipated somewhere.   Anything getting hotter than usual ???

Only today, where I was working with the 52" coil and burned out a couple of
MOSFETs.  But then, that was due to their having been ST-brand and my having
nudged the rep rate a little too high.  Those are markedly inferior to IR
MOSFETs and I had mistakenly installed an entire pc board full (12) of them.
Had to change them all out.

> Could you give any more details about what is different in the two
> spark
> characteristics ???  Eg. Longer,  shorter, fatter, thinner,
> brighter, more
> branched,  drifting vs. darting etc..

See my other posting of today.  I'll report in more detail when I get the 3rd
secondary made.

>                                                         Cheers,
>
>                                                         -Richie,
KCH