Re: mmc caps

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/13/01 7:13:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "brian by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> ka1bbg1-at-mcttelecom-dot-com>
>
> Hi Terry,coilers,
> Has anyone made a mmc out of oil run caps? I have 66 4uf 440vac caps and
> got to
> thinking why not?

Hi brian,
I assembled a cap farm of 50 15uf x 660VAC which I was going to use as a
3uf, 33KV tank cap. Then I started to figure out how big a tranny I would
need to resonate with it and gave it up until the day I hit the lottery.
Some things to consider:
If you use quick connects, there is always a little resistance in terminal
connections and corrosion thereon.  R(ac)<2*sqrt(L/C) is required for
oscillations.
If you use semicircular jumpers, you're adding inductance L (.5 turn) x 2 x
66, which may limit the frequency response noticeably.
Worth a try though, Let us know how it works.

Matt D.