Re: SV: NST resonance - Terry's testing

Hi Jan,

At 06:59 PM 2/12/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Thank you for probing my results, Terry!

No Problem, that's what make this stuff so much fun!  I too was very
surprised it worked out so well.

>As your results came so close to the theoretical value I think we have to
>assume that yours are correct. I must have made a serious measuring error or
>my transformers are weird, or both.

I hesitate to say my test was the final word but...

>Perhaps my NST:s contain power factor correcting condensors, as was
>suggested on the list. I will try to get manufacturers data for them. I have
>thought a bit about my makeshift voltage divider network, used instead of a
>regular HV-probe on the secondary side. Perhaps I went over the top with the
>resistor values and invited all sorts of non wanted signals to sneak in by
>capacitive coupling.

If the NST has one of those internal caps with a separate primary winding,
that may do all sorts of strange things.  An external PFC cap should be
invisible if the voltage supply has very low impedance.

High voltage dividers are very susceptible to tiny stray capacitances which
can really mess up the tiny currents and such in dividers (especially at
the higher frequencies).  High voltage probes go to great lengths to get
all the stray capacitances just right.

I still wonder about the impedance of the driving amp.  You may try loading
it down with a low value resistor just to verify that it is able to drive
low resistances without drooping.  the inductance of the transformer may
also confuse some amps.

>I will try to review my measurements later this week, but for now I think we
>should look upon Terry´s as the correct ones. It really is very satisfying
>if measurements coincide with the theoretical models, as Terry´s do!

Yea.  It is one of the few experiments that actually seems to have worked
right the first time :-))  I was not sure if it would work right or not
especially with only 1 volt input.  I worry a bit because it seemed to work
almost "too" well...

Cheers,

	Terry